WP 1: Investigation of degradation processes of geosynthetics in hydraulic engineering (WP leader: BAM):
- Artificial/accelerated ageing (UV, thermal, high-pressure autoclave testing, elevated salt concentration);
- Degradation/ageing enhanced by microbiological activity;
- Simulation of exposure in the engineering application (mechanical and combination of above mentioned);
- Case study: Environmental impact of application of geosynthetics at Kaliningrad shore.
WP 2: Release from geosynthetics under application conditions (WP leader: LIAE):
- Leaching tests with geosynthetics;
- Ecotoxicological assessment;
- Numerical simulation of microplastic (MP) particle transport (influence of biofouling).
WP 3: Risk assessment of geosynthetics application in hydraulic engineering (WP leader: SIO):
- Appraisal of results and derivation of requirements for geosynthetics (guidance document);
- Recommendations for materials selection and practical implementation.